In the listening part, there are 8 tasks:
- Summarise spoken text
- MCQ – single answer
- Fill in the blanks
- Highlight the correct summary
- MCQ – Multiple answers
- Select mission word
- Highlight incorrect words
- Write from dictation
This part aims to understand if the test taker is comfortable in grasping the language and is able to respond after listening. Thus, by doing listening practice via a daily routine, you can seriously increase your scores. In fact, you will enjoy listening section a lot.
Listening needs concentration on part of a listener and concentration comes with patience. The more patiently you try to listen and focus, the more you understand what is being spoken. Have you ever tried closing your eyes and listening to various sounds? You will see that you are then able to identify a rhythm. Same is with words. When words are spoken together, there is a rhythm. Most importantly, the basic grammar rules will help you here. The English Language is structured. So, it is easier to comprehend if one knows the grammar. What happened if your grammar is not that strong? Is PTE Listening all about grammar skills? No! It tests a mix of skills.
There are some effective ways to improve you listening for this test:
- TED Talk and BBC Documentary: listening to various topics and accents – focus on topic about science and health
- Listen to different kinds of music in English
- Watch Movies and TV Shows in English. Especially the ones that are of genre comedy or action. Our brains are wired to react quickly to happy or aggressive sensations.
- Learn new academic vocabularies and how to pronounciate them. You would hear them in the test.
- Audio Novels are another effective medium. There are many applications available where you can download the Novel and then listen to it.
- Meditation to increase your concentration and this will help you in the listening test
Remember that your level of English might be different than another person. The tools that work best for one might take time to work for another. Thus, you must always strive to keep practising each tool and use the one that you find comfortable and beneficial.